No homeowner ever wants to deal with frozen pipes in the winter. In fact, frozen pipes are one of the most dreaded situations you can face. As your local provider of plumbing in Brevard, NC, Hamilton Well & Pump has some tips on how you can protect your pipes this winter:
- Keep faucets at a slow drip: When it’s freezing outside, keep your faucets slowly dripping. The movement of water through the pipes will prevent frozen pipes.
- Leave cabinets open: Closed-off areas in your home trap in the cold. This is especially true for cabinets under your kitchen and bathroom sinks. Open these doors and let the warm air flow around your pipes.
- Wrap pipes: Insulating your pipes is the best way to avoid frozen pipes. Wrap all pipes in tape or other insulation materials. Make sure to check your pipes regularly this winter, rewrapping any exposed areas you notice. Pipes in colder areas of the house need extra attention, as these are the most susceptible to freezing.
- Drain outside equipment and water features: Be sure to drain all outside hoses and sprinklers, as well as any outside water features you have, such as pools and ponds. When these are forgotten, they can burst, cause leaks, and do significant damage to your home’s plumbing.
- Turn off the water supply when you leave: If you’re headed out on a winter vacation, make sure you shut off your water supply before you leave. If you don’t, you might discover that a leak or a burst pipe caused water damage to your home while you were away.
If you’d like a plumber to inspect your pipes for leaks and potential problems, call Hamilton Well & Pump. And if the unthinkable happens, we’re available around the clock with our 24/7 emergency service. You can rely on us for expert plumbing in Brevard, NC.